3.24.2009

Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab


Sold for only two years (1951-52), the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab is way cooler than any chemistry set I had when I was little. Way cooler. Why? Because the Atomic Energy Lab comes complete with your very own radioactive ore!

'The set came with four types of uranium ore, a beta-alpha source (Pb-210), a pure beta source (Ru-106), a gamma source (Zn-65?), a spinthariscope, a cloud chamber with its own short-lived alpha source (Po-210), an electroscope, a geiger counter, a manual, a comic book (Dagwood Splits the Atom) and a government manual "Prospecting for Uranium."'

Two things in that stocklist blow my mind. "Dagwood Splits the Atom" and "Prospecting for Uranium."

Dagwood. Splits the Atom. The guy named after a sandwich. Why not Dennis the Menace? Or how about Hagar the Horribe? I mean Beetle Bailey is more appropriate than Dagwood. At least he is in the military.

Now this is a chemistry set I can get behind.

No comments: