This weekend's big opening is none other than Marvel Comics' The Avengers. Starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson, and the guy from that Eminem video like ten years ago, this is the first BIG summer movie for me.
I'll admit that when it comes to the comics, I'm an X-Men guy. The Avengers were always so vanilla and mamby-pamby, with Captain America and Thor being two heroes who bore the brunt of my nerd rage, but as a sci-fi/fantasy aficionado, I have to say that this movie gets it going for me. The Dark Knight is the number one superhero movie of all time for me, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't one I'm really hoping lives up to the hype.
For novices, here's a summary of the heroes, villains, and their powers:
- Nick Fury (Jackson): The guy was always white in my day, but whatevs. The uniting force behind the Avengers and head honcho of the SHIELD agency. Threats and government funding appear to be his superpowers.
- Captain America (Chris Evans): Genetically altered by potions and lightning by the Army in the 1940s. Frozen in ice for a long time, emerges confused and angry.
- Iron Man (Downey): Come on, you saw this one right? Crazy billionaire in an indestructible metal suit.
- Thor (Hemsworth): Norse god, son of Odin, wielder of the hammer Mjolnir, generally condescending.
- The Hulk (Ruffalo): Again, come on, normal guy gets angry and turns into a raging green giant? You know this one.
- Black Widow (Johannson): Former KGB agent who gets juiced with some super soldier serum, also very attractive.
- Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner): He is very accurate with a bow and arrow. I'm serious, that's it.
- Loki (Tom Hiddleston): The villain of this tale, brother of Thor, Norse god of mischief, super genius.
The plot will go something like this: disaffected superheroes brought together by S.H.I.E.L.D. supremo Fury learn to accept each other and work as a team in the face of total annihilation by Loki and his mystical forces. The action will culminate in a final battle with only one inevitable outcome.
A NON-STOP THRILL RIDE THAT WILL LEAVE YOU GASPING FOR AIR. Rated PG-13.