1.28.2009

AT&T, Comcast the First to Bend Consumers Over for RIAA


Remember when I told you about the RIAA and how it was no longer going to sue dead people and children? The alternative was instead to place the copyright enforcement burden on ISPs, remember? Well the first step in that process began with the revelation that Comcast and AT&T are working towards active cooperation in this new anti-piracy regime.

According to CNET three sources close to the companies admitted that they were looking at implementing programs to punish broadband users for illegally downloading copyrighted music. The program will reportedly employ a "three strikes" policy that allows you to get caught without too much trouble twice, but the third time you will have your broadband disconnected, you will not be able to reconnect, and you could potentially be blackballed from other ISPs.

I don't know what to say about this. Blackballing people from broadband access for copyright violations? What happens if someone is stealing your cable to download illegally? Wouldn't it be easier and more fair to the consumer to shut out the sites that facilitate piracy? I guess not.

I'm not going to use any violent language because it is after 6 and I'm contentedly eating dinner and watching a documentary on The Flaming Lips who are, incidentally, a great band. Maybe I will get some vitriol flowing later on when I watch this Daft Punk movie that apparently has no Daft Punk music or helmets. I'm fairly certain it will make me angry...I know I was annoyed when I read the synopsis, and thinking about it now has me on the verge of irritated. More details to follow. I know you can't wait.

via giz

No comments: