3.06.2009

Liz Hickock


So Liz Hickock, a sculptor based in San Francisco, makes stuff out of Jell-O. And by stuff, I don't mean Jell-O shots or upside-down cake pan Jell-O. I mean the city of San Francisco itself. Says the artist:

"I create glowing, jellied scale models of urban sites, transforming ordinary physical surroundings into something unexpected and ephemeral. Lit from below, the molded shapes of the city blur into a jewel-like mosaic of luminous color and volume. The gelatinous material also evokes uncanny parallels with the geological uncertainties of San Francisco’s landscape. While the translucent beauty of the compositions first seduces the viewer, their fragility quickly becomes a metaphor for the transitory nature of human artifacts."

Jell-O. She made a city out of Jell-O. Now say what you will about the premise, but as you can see from the pictures and video, the execution was undeniably brilliant. Which, really, is where I go wrong in my artistic endeavors...yeah. See I always have great ideas, such as my critically panned "Man in the Mashed Potato Moon," but the execution...




Thanks to KDM. All images are property of Liz Hickock and were obtained via lizhickock.com

No comments: